Accounting Tech III
January 27, 2023
Posted January 19, 2023
Craven County DSS
Craven County Department of Social Services
2818 Neuse Blvd
Primary Purpose The higher level positions in Accounting are responsible for assuring daily activities comply with all County and State requirements, meet all established deadlines and follow all established agency fiscal procedures. These include handling assignments directly and providing oversight and consultation to other staff. Employee must be able to perform all activities in Accounting Unit so as to provide coverage when absences occur. Employee is expected to analyze situations and resolve problems or discrepancies in a consistent, fiscally sound manner. Performing these duties requires understanding of a very complex budget and reporting system. Essential Functions 65% Financial Reporting / Reconciliation
- Interprets and utilizes (1) State Fiscal Manual to apply laws and regulations governing financial records and (2) County Cost Allocation Plan to properly allocate to other staff.
- Independently determines reimbursable vs. non-reimbursable expense items.
- Reviews all expenditures for proper charging.
- Determines proper reporting from a variety of reimbursement report possibilities.
- Interprets and applies regulations for compliance with all Non-1571 funding sources.
- Handles the responsibilities of all other positions within the accounting unit as needed.
- Knowledge of specialized DSS bookkeeping procedures as needed to maintain a variety of complex sets of books.
- Analyzes financial statements monthly to conform with State, DSS and contract policy. This position is responsible for balancing the County Issued bank statement monthly.
- Considerable judgment required: Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Excel is needed to understand, utilize and update a variety of complex and sophisticated budget and accounting spreadsheets to maintain compliance with constantly changing fiscal rules, regulations, policy and funding.
- Knowledge of the Day Sheet code matrix, transportation systems, Financial Statement, County Finance Accounting System and Federal Schedule of Assistance.
- Understanding of the County appropriations used for annual proposal and budget adjustments.