Community Social Service Assistant
February 19, 2022
Posted February 11, 2022
Craven County Department of Social Services
Craven County Department of Social Services 252-636-4900
2818 Neuse Blvd
Primary Purpose Under the general supervision of the Senior Center Coordinator the primary purpose of this position is to assist in the performance of administrative work with Congregate, Senior Center and Group Respite Programming in carrying out tasks according to the Federal and State rules and regulations governing programs for the elderly. Essential Functions 95%
- Assist in scheduling nutritional, recreational, educational and health related programs for congregate, Group Respite and Senior Center participants. Provides information to participants of upcoming events at the Senior Center and in the Community that maybe of assistance and or interest.
- Assures that adequate activities are scheduled, securing participant input on the kinds of activities that are of interest. Assures that adequate supplies are available.
- Assigned to provide supervision, instruction and assistance with activities provided in the Group Respite Program. This program provides a caregiver respite service for individuals with Alzheimer’s or related conditions.
- Greets and interacts with participants through conversation and scheduled activities.
- Provide meals programs at nutrition site and for homebound elderly which is operated in accordance with Federal and State rules and regulations governing congregate and home delivered meals programs.
- Gathers information for confidential assessments with new attendees of the site and home delivered participants, completes program forms, including client registration forms, caterer’s assessment, daily count forms, sign in sheets and weekly summaries. Staffs new and annual assessments of and eligibility re-determinations of each participant with Coordinator.
- Establishes a file for each participant, collects attendance information as well as information on notable health events.
- Orders and receives meals, checks meal temperatures, prepares site for each meal, ensures that the site is cleaned up after each meal and or ensure meal carriers are clean for next day delivery.
- Works with caterer regarding meal quality, adjustments, menu and billing.
- Collects program income, completes required paperwork and submits to Accounting as designated.
- Maintains records of participation in various center activities, prepares periodic reports on the activities of the center.
- Assist in recruiting, training and supervising volunteers for either home delivered meals, group respite and or the Senior Center.
- Assists with meal order changes.
- Provides Title IIID evidence based classes and exercise activity to participant at the Senior Center.
- Provide clerical assistance and coverage to the Senior Center which will include: filing activities, public contact via telephone and one on one interactions, take and distribute messages, and performance of various general office tasks to include scanning documents, update spreadsheets, tracking documents and calendars.
- Assists with fundraising
- Attend all mandated trainings.
- Position will participate in Emergency Management duties as required by Craven County and the State of North Carolina.
- The position adheres to other duties assigned by the Human Services Coordinator III, Program Manager, and/or Director at their discretion. The position also assists in disaster relief efforts that includes but is not limited to shelter duty. Assignment to emergency shelter duty during times of potentially dangerous or manmade disasters is an essential function of this position and you shall be required to fulfill these duties when instructed.