The primary purpose of this position is to ensure all eligible individuals receive timely public assistance benefits by determining the eligibility of Buncombe County residents applying for public assistance across multiple Income Maintenance programs.
Essential Functions of the position:
- Determine client eligibility for benefits accurately and within Federal and State mandated time frames.
- Gather and interpret client data obtained through an interview process, case file review and/or third party verification.
- Provide information to clients/applicants regarding programs, services, and eligibility requirements and outcomes.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience: One year of experience as an Income Maintenance Caseworker; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Special Skills: English/Spanish bi-lingual speakers preferred.
Duties, Responsibilities, and Other Functions:
- Plan and organize ongoing caseloads to ensure timely and accurate determination of eligibility.
- Review client applications, verifying the information obtained and determine eligibility. Document findings and maintain up to date records of all cases Complete scheduled client re-certification for eligibility.
- Explain public assistance program requirements and options to client/applicant.
- Refer client/applicant to other program services as appropriate.
- Acquire and maintain knowledge of Health and Human Services in order to serve customers within an integrated model.
- Adhere to all program mandates and stay current with program policy.
- Identify cases for investigation of potential fraud and submit appropriate fraud referral documentation.
- Assist in local and state hearings process as necessary.
- Perform special projects associated with agency priorities as needed.