Social Services Director
Adult Services, Child Support Enforcement, Directors and Program Managers, Economic Services, Family and Children’s Services, Other
Depending on Qualifications
December 12, 2021
Posted November 23, 2021
Forsyth County Government
If you would like to speak with us to find out more about the opportunity, please contact Shontell Robinson, Deputy County Manager at email@example.com or call (336) 703-2013.
Forsyth County is seeking a Social Services Director who is passionate and has strong leadership skills to lead the Department of Social Services (DSS). Forsyth County DSS has over 500 employees, a budget of over 50 million dollars, and provides comprehensive services to clients through all DSS divisions to include Family and Children Services, Adult Services, Economic Services, Child Support and Administration. The Social Services Director will be responsible for setting strategy and direction for all Department of Social Service programs, being a change agent for the organization, and building a cohesive DSS team. The Director is expected to implement service integration, reduce county costs and increase state and federal revenues, and improve technology systems. The DSS Director is expected to maintain and improve upon the relationships with community agencies and to accomplish objectives through collaborative processes. An employee in this class performs difficult, complex administrative and managerial work with primary responsibility for planning, organizing, staffing, directing and overseeing the Department of Social Services under the direction of the Deputy County Manager/Health & Human Services Director. The selected candidate must become a resident of Forsyth County no more than 180 days after the first day of employment as Social Services Director. Salary dependent on qualifications. Distinguishing Features The ideal candidate will be an experienced social services professional who has vision and strong leadership skills to lead the Department of Social Services and will demonstrate:
- Thorough knowledge of the legal and philosophical basis for public welfare programs.
- Thorough knowledge of management principles, techniques and practices.
- Considerable knowledge of principles and practices of social work.
- Knowledge of the agency’s organization, operations and objectives, and applicable federal and state laws, rules, and regulations.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in analyzing situations and making decisions; directs employees and programs in the various areas of responsibility.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with the general pubic and with federal, state and local officials.
- Oversee all DSS divisions to include Family and Children’s Services, Adult Services, Economic Services, Child Support and Administration.
- Provide overall direction of the staff in program development and resource management that is consistent with the mission of the agency.
- Delegate’s policy development and operational responsibilities to program and administrative managers.
- Responds, in an oversight capacity, to legal challenges, lawsuits, and organizational changes or reallocation of resources as a result of agency initiated evaluations of organizational effectiveness, fiscal considerations, program additions, or changes in program emphasis.
- Build community coalitions in support of agency goals; formulate and articulate agency positions on issues which are subject to intense and continuous public scrutiny from the media, community groups and political forces.