Social Worker IA/T (In-Home)

Work Type
Family and Children’s Services


Closing Date
Open Until Filled
Posted March 18, 2021

Agency Name
Vance County DSS

Work County

Job Location
350 Ruin Creek Rd.
North Carolina
Job Description

Job Description

The primary duties of this position include the provision of CPS In-Home Services where the worker and families determine the strategies to be used to change the conditions and behaviors that resulted in child abuse and neglect; to work with the children/family and their support systems to reduce or eliminate the risk of maltreatment.

The social worker will use critical thinking in complex situations to assess on-going safety and risk factors while services are being provided to children in the home of their parents. The social worker will use their social work skills and knowledge to determine when to seek removal of custody through the juvenile court when the child cannot be maintained safely in the home of the parent or caretaker. The social worker will complete CPS Investigations/Assessments alleging the abuse, neglect and dependency of children. This social worker will also, perform On-Call duties during after- hours and weekends when the agency is closed. An additional expectation and requirement of this job includes Disaster Duty and overtime work (before 8:30am and after 5:00pm) as needed to meet the needs of the families and Agency.

Key Responsibilities and Related Competencies:

This social worker works closely with schools, medical personnel and mental health professionals to ensure the well-being needs of the children and families are properly addressed. Performs client and family assessments for cases open in In-Home Services. Completing written assessments and required State forms according to State policy and time frames. Make referrals for follow-up services when necessary, preparing court summaries, testify in court, attend Child and Family Team meetings and other meetings to support the case plan while providing support and guidance to the parent(s) and caretaker(s). 

Knowledge, Skills and Abilities

Minimum Education and Experience -

Master’s degree from an accredited school of social work and one year of social work experience;

or a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited school of social work and two years of social work or counseling experience;

or Master’s degree in a counseling field and two years of social work or counseling experience;

or a four-year degree in a human services field or related curriculum and three years of social work or counseling experience;

or graduation from a four-year college or university and four years of experience in rehabilitation counseling, pastoral counseling or a related human service field providing experience in the techniques of casework, group work or community organization; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.

One year of work experience can be credited for completion of the social work collaborative.

Link to Agency Posting Job