Social Worker III

Work Type
Family and Children’s Services

Position Number

$37,929.00 - $59,158.00

Closing Date
Open Until Filled
Posted November 5, 2020

Agency Name
Wayne County Department of Social Services

Work County

Job Contact
To Apply: Submit a completed PD-107 (state application) and copies of transcripts to Brenda Melvin, Wayne County DSS, 301 N. Herman Street, Box HH, Goldsboro, NC 27530. Unsigned or incomplete applications will not be processed.

Job Location
301 N. Herman Street
North Carolina
Job Description

Description of Job Duties:    The primary purpose of this position is to provide foster care and adoption services to children from infancy to age 21 who have been removed from their home with no plans of reunification.  This position assesses, evaluates and identifies risks to children and determines what immediate action needs to be taken as defined by law.  This position assesses the children’s needs and develops a plan for service so the children will have a permanent placement within one year.  This position assesses the need for diagnostic studies, evaluations, medical examinations and facilitates movement in and out of the legal system.  This position evaluates the children’s placement and supervises the children in the foster home to assure proper care is received.  This position provides social casework and other treatment services to facilitate the children’s psychosocial adjustment and provides transportation necessary to the provision of foster care services for children when needed and not otherwise available. This employee will learn and use programs Compass Pilot and Compass Appointments (Compass Co-Pilot, if issued a DSS iPad) as required by position to do, but not limited to: request leave, schedule/receive appropriate appointments, set up virtual files, scan/retrieve documents, receive/send tasks.  Experience using Microsoft Office 2000 (Word, Excel, etc.) required.
Educational/Experience Requirements:
  • Master's degree in social work from an accredited school of social work; or
  • Bachelor's degree in social work from an accredited school of social work and one year directly related experience; or
  • Master's degree in counseling in a human services field and one year of social work or counseling; or
  • Bachelor's degree in a human services field from an accredited college or university and two years directly related experience; or
  • Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and three years of directly related experience.
(Degrees must be from appropriately accredited institutions.)