Purpose of the position:
The primary purpose of this position is to ensure all eligible individuals receive timely public assistance benefits by determining or re-determining eligibility of Buncombe County residents applying for public assistance across multiple Income Maintenance programs. This position is for a dual intake team, taking and processing applications for Adult Medicaid and Food Nutrition Services.
Essential Functions of the position:
- Determine client eligibility for benefits accurately and within local, community, Federal and State mandated time frames.
- Gather and interpret client data obtained through interview process, case file review and/or third-party verification.
- Provide information to clients/applicants regarding programs, services and eligibility requirements and outcomes.
- Organize and maintain ongoing caseloads to maintain timeliness and quality assurance per Federal and State guidelines along with Buncombe County best practices.
- Identify cases for investigation of potential fraud and submit appropriate fraud referral documentation.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience:
Associate degree in Social Work, Human Services or related major and minimum of one (1) year experience in customer service, and minimum of one (1) year as an Income Maintenance Caseworker I; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Additional Training and Experience:
English/Spanish bilingual speakers preferred; Complete policy trainings as directed; maintain knowledge of programs and eligibility requirements
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Current knowledge of available agency, community, Federal and State programs, along with eligibility criteria, timelines, and requirements.
- Ability to analyze, comprehend and apply rules and regulations and often changing policies and guidelines pertaining to eligibility requirements for programs.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to change.
- Ability to accept work direction from multiple parties and work as part of a team.
- Ability to work with and interpret facts and figures and perform tasks involving a high degree of accuracy, learn the intricacies of numerous forms and procedures of public assistance programs.
- Proficiency working with a variety of computer systems and software.
- Report and react to changes in programs to clients and update eligibility or program requirements as needed.
- Report potentially fraudulent claims or information to Program Integrity.
- Maintain clear and accurate records, review caseload information on a minimum of an annual basis.
- Assist in local and state hearing processes, as necessary.
- Knowledge of policies, procedures, regulations and rules regarding programs to provide accurate and timely information to ongoing and potential clients.
- Skill in data entry into a computer and operating general office equipment.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with the assigned caseload and general public.