Work Type
Family and Children’s Services


Closing Date
Open Until Filled
Posted June 30, 2021

Agency Name
Vance County DSS

Work County

Job Location
350 Ruin Creek Road
North Carolina
Job Description

Job Description

Job Requirements:  The social worker will complete CPS Investigations/Assessments alleging the abuse, neglect and dependency of children. The social worker will use critical thinking in complex situations to assess safety and risk factors for children in the home of their parents.  The social worker will use their social work skills and knowledge to determine when to seek removal of custody through the juvenile court when the child cannot be maintained safely in the home of the parent or caretaker.  This social worker will also, perform on-call duties during after- hours and weekends when the agency is closed. This position also, is required to perform Disaster Duty as needed and required to work overtime prior to and after the regular work schedule Monday thru Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm.  Essential Functions: This social worker works closely with parents, schools, medical personnel and mental health professionals to ensure the well-being needs of the children and families are properly addressed. Make referrals for follow-up services when necessary, preparing court summaries, testify in court, attend meetings to advocate and facilitate services for children and families. Serve On-Call duties on a rotating schedule to respond to reports alleging abuse and neglect of children when the agency is closed on holidays, weekends and work overtime outside of the normal work schedule of the agency. Perform Disaster duties when needed to ensure the safety of the community in the designated emergency shelters when a disaster occurs and work overtime as needed to accommodate the schedules of parents and/or caretakers.


Knowledge, Skills and Abilities

Minimum Education and Experience -

Master’s degree from an accredited school of social work and one year of social work experience;

or a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited school of social work and two years of social work or counseling experience; or

Master’s degree in a counseling field and two years of social work or counseling experience; or

A four-year degree in a human services field or related curriculum and three years of social work or counseling experience; or

Graduation from a four-year college or university and four years of experience in rehabilitation counseling, pastoral counseling or a related human service field providing experience in the techniques of casework, group work or community organization; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.

One year of work experience can be credited for completion of the social work collaborative.

Link to Agency Posting Job