The primary purpose of this position is to ensure organizational compliance across the department regarding Title VI Limited English Proficiency standards by providing supervision and administrative oversight to the language access team and administering language service contracts. We are looking for a proven leader to create and manage newly formed Language Access Team. Supervision, management, training, and motivating team members will be vitally important in this new role.
Essential Functions of the position:
- Evaluate, monitor, and react to language access needs/services for Limited English Proficient (LEP) clients in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act regarding the delivery of department programs and services.
- Ensure compliance across the department with Title VI Limited English Proficiency standards through the coordination of efforts with the County Compliance Officer and the development, implementation, and management of a cultural competency and language access service delivery plan.
- Oversee, administer, and evaluate language services contracts, budgeting, training, and quality assurance.
- Serve as a resource to assist staff in understanding cross-cultural issues and dynamics in order to ensure cultural competencies and mutual respect in the client relationship.
- Personnel Management: Hire, develop, evaluate performance, provide feedback and disciplinary action as needed; develop and maintain a positive team work environment; provide effective, clear and timely communication.
- Assure compliance with all applicable policy, rules and governmental statutes (local, state, and federal) specific to all program areas as well as all county and human resource policies covered by local, state, and federal laws.
- Perform interpretation and translation duties for LEP clients throughout Health and Human Services, in person, over the phone or using video/webcam.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience (required at time of hire): Graduation from a four-year college or university and a minimum of three (3) years of management or supervisory experience, along with related experience demonstrating fluency in English and the foreign language(s) necessary to successfully perform assigned job duties; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Special Skills: Satisfactory score on interpretation and translation assessment
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of cross-cultural issues and dynamics and the ability to deal effectively with a wide variety of clients and professional staff.
- Knowledge of HIPAA regulations regarding handling of client’s charts and client-related communications.
- Working knowledge of the program area.
- Ability to be culturally sensitive and treat all program participants with respect.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles of supervision and organizing teams and workflow.
- Knowledge of Health and Human Services programs, forms, and documents used in the area supervised.
- Considerable knowledge of needs, problems, and attitudes of disadvantaged persons.
- General knowledge of all agency and community programs and services which could affect the client/applicant.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and deal tactfully with a wide range of the public
- Ability to de-escalate upset customers and staff
- Ability to create, implement, and adjust work flow strategies to ensure timely customer service
- Ability to represent the Health and Human Services staff in departmental meetings and community conferences.
- Ability to identify areas in which the customer experience could be improved upon and make the appropriate recommendations for improvement
- Ability to analyze and comprehend a variety of technical and administrative regulation, records, reports, and complex data.
- Ability to set priorities, implement changes and organize.
- Experience with computer operations and programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
Language Access Coordinator
Language Access Coordinator
June 25, 2020
Posted June 8, 2020
Buncombe County Government
200 College St